Monday, January 31, 2011

THE THIS THING

I think the first question on my next English test will include a story to read and then say... "Tell me about the this thing in the story. ________________________________" and most of my students would probably not think anything of it and give me an answer. I hear people here in Ghana from the uneducated to the fairly well educated use the phrase "the this thing" to talk about any number of objects, actions, or... people. Ex. Miss Amanda, can I go to the this thing? (the bathroom)- I put the the this thing on the this thing (worksheet, table) - Miss Amanda, where is the this thing?- (my roommate Lauren). It is slightly surprising and amusing to me when about half the time I know what they are talking about. I don't know why they don't take the extra time to think of the word or name they are looking for, but it always gives me a laugh.
I don't know if throwing it in on an exam will make them realize how ridiculous the phrase is, or if it will actually somehow help them better understand the question, but well, the this thing.

1 comment:

  1. Love it! I miss the...the this thing! :) And you! Hope all is well! Think about you guys all the time.

    ReplyDelete