Thursday, November 11, 2010

Surrounded by children

I wake at 5:30 or 6 in the morning to the sound of the village waking up over our wall and to the shouts and screams of the kids at the home. I get dressed to the sound of their morning devotions. As I read there are usually at least a couple trips to the door to give one of the kids the kitchen key or something we were charging for them. Breakfast is eaten to the sound of the kids running around doing their morning chores and to the sound of the van bringing the kids to school... then the school day starts. I hear my name Miss Amanda, Miss Amanda (or miss miranda, mianda, amernda etc) all over. After school most days there's a brief siesta. After that it's on to reading club, taking the kids for a walk, opening the library, playing games with the kids, writing letters with them, doing bible study, reading to them in the evenings, and any number of other things as each day brings them. It can be a lot.

But then some times it feels oh so good to be surrounded by them too.

I am now leading a biblestudy with the younger boys (who range from 3-12). Last night as I was in the main room for biblestudy kneeling at the table with the boys who came the younger boys slowly, throughout bible study made their way into the room (surprisingly and uncharacteristically quietly) and surrounded me. First, Moses came and stood next to me and put his arm around my waist. A few minutes later Kweku brought a little stool and placed it between the table and me and sat down on it with his back against me, and at about the same time Seyram came up behind me and was standing on my legs. An interesting position to be in at a biblestudy, but nice and comforting too.

"As the mountains surround Jerusalem so God surrounds his people both now and forever more." Psalm 125:2 Even through the chaos, the noise, the business, the stress, the fun, I'm learning more and more what it means to have God surrounding me too. Some days, no all days, I wouldn't make it through the day without him strengthening and guiding. With all the children around there are always eyes watching and I want to be the best example of someone who is following after, seeking, loving, and worshiping our Lord that my human self can be. Praise the Lord He is always there surrounding me

No comments:

Post a Comment